Backend Tech stack comprises framework, libraries, programming languages, databases and servers and is required to build any software application.
These components are stacked together to complement each other and create an application which is functional.
Web programming helps create dynamic web applications and any web application can be divided into two parts, the front end and the back end. However backend and frontend are different.
Backend is the server side logic which powers the websites and apps and is hidden from the user. The front end is handled by web designers while the back end is handled by engineers and developers.
What is a backend tech stack?
Backend enables the front end and makes it functional by broadly taking care of the activities like
- Business Logic
- Database Interaction
If the backend is not performing optimally, the application becomes slow, crashes often or shows frequent errors.
The backend tech stack includes the following aspects:
- Programming Languages- To write instructions and scripts linking the web to the database.
- Frameworks- A library of server side programming languages that supports applications
- Web Servers – Servers manage the client request
- Databases – To store data, examples include SQL, NSQL, MongoDB etc
Technologies for backend tech stack
There are several readily available backend tech stack models, each with its unique set of features and ability to serve specific business purposes. The tech stacks come with a wide knowledge base which comes handy when difficulties are encountered at any level.
While choosing any backend tech stack there are some considerations to be made.
- The size and scope of the project
- The type of product
Best Backend Framework
While there may be different opinions about which framework is the best for backend development, let’s take a look at one of the most popular one:
Express is a NodeJs based free and open source backend web application framework, used to build web applications and application programming interfaces. It is the standard framework for Node js and most popular development stacks like MERN, MEAN, MEVN together with MONGODB database software. Additionally it can be used to build a single page, multipage, and hybrid web application.
Some of the reasons for the widespread popularity of Node Js + Express framework are:
- It comes with robust routing which basically means that the response time of the application’s end point url to client request is better than other applications
- It can create HTML templates on server and thus HTML pages are rendered dynamically
- Use of Middleware request handler which works between the request and response cycle and improves client side rendering performance and can add logging and authetication functionality
- Debugging is easier in Express
- Customization is possible as Express is unopinionated
Fast, time efficient, cost effective and easy to learn, all these features make Express Node JS as popular as it is as a backend framework.
Best Backend Language for Web development
- Lightweight scripting
- Dynamic Typing
- Object oriented programming support
- Client Side Validation
- Wide community of developers with ready support
Backend as a Service
As often said, backend is the soul which runs any web development, keeps it alive and kicking and now with some extremely functional frameworks it has become possible to categorize backend as a service which can take care of creating a backend code, speed up the development process and run and maintain servers. With ready to use features like scalable databases, APIs, cloud code functions, social media integrations, file storage, and push notifications. The back end as a service provider can manage the nitty-gritty of the backend while the businesses can focus on their front end and client-side development and their core business while saving on the engineering cost.
With a forecasted growth rate of 22.9% by 2026 evaluated at roughly $7.2 billion, the cloud based applications are the primary growth drivers of BaaS.
If you want to learn more about backend to start your tech career or just upskill, explore more about FunctionUp. We are a pay after placement coding bootcamp which trains candidates on backend engineering skills and provides them placement assistance. Click Here