One of the most comprehensive and widely used cloud platforms in the world, AWS combines Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) offerings.
What is AWS?
AWS or Amazon Web Service provides various computing services like providing servers, storage, networking, remote computing, email, mobile development, and security.
Amazon Web Services is broken into three services:
EC2: Virtual Machine Service
Glacier: Low-cost cloud storage service
S3: Storage System
The accessibility, cost-effectiveness, and scalability make AWS an excellent cloud computing option for a number of organizations.
Who is an AWS Engineer and what are their job roles?
An AWS engineer is responsible for creating, maintaining, and evolving the AWS cloud infrastructure for applications which include production, test, and development environments. Well, this is a general overview, taking a closer look at the role and responsibilities will provide a better understanding of what AWS engineers are expected to do in organizations.
AWS Engineer Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Planning, implementation, and growth of the cloud infrastructure
- Management of production systems, responsible for the build, release, and deployment of production systems
- Manage the integration and deployment of server-based technologies
- Collaborate with architecture and engineering teams to design and implement scalable software services
- Evaluating the cloud security systems and implementing the best ones for necessary system security
- Keeping abreast of new technologies and vendor products and evaluate the current ones that need an upgrade and do the same
- Ensure continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines
- Recommend process and architecture improvements
- Troubleshoot systems
- Solve problems that emerge across platforms and application domains
- Work closely at the pre-production acceptance testing to ensure the quality of services and products
Tools used by AWS Engineers
- An experience in using AWS off course
- An understanding of the designing and building web environment on AWS and working knowledge of services like EC2, ELB, RDS, and S3
- Building and maintaining cloud-native applications
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix and Windows server system administration
- Knowledge of DevOps tools like Ansible, Artifactory, Docker, GitHub, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Maven, and SonarQube
- Installing and configuring application servers such as JBoss, Tomcat, and WebLogic
- Using monitoring solutions like CloudWatch, ELK Stack, and Prometheus
- Knowledge of programming languages used for cloud computing (i.e., SQL data, XML data, R math, Clojure math, Haskell functional, Erlang functional, Python procedural, and Go procedural languages)
- Script development and scripting languages
- Familiarity with AWS CodeBuild, AWS CodeDeploy, and AWS CodePipeline for the real-world application of Continuous Delivery (CD)
Career Path of an AWS Engineer:
Most AWS engineers hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or some other related technical major. A couple of years spent in the software development field (with a focus on languages like AngularJS, C++, Java, and Python) supplement the education, and further down systems engineering experience helps build on the skills.
An experience in the tech tools like Hadoop, Kafka, Kubernetes, Redshift, Scala, Spark, and SQL is desirable along with cybersecurity expertise.
The various AWS Engineer Jobs are:
- Back-end developer
- Cloud engineer
- Development operations engineer
- Front-end developer
- Full-stack developer
- Java developer
- .NET developer
- Senior Java developer
- Senior software engineer
- Software architect
- Systems administrator
- Software engineer
- System engineer
The Amazon AWS opportunities are concentrated in these specific geographical regions:
- Bangalore, India
- Beijing, China
- Berlin, Germany
- Capetown, South Africa
- Dublin, Ireland
- London, UK
- Seoul, South Korea
- Sydney, Australia
- Tokyo, Japan
- Vancouver, Canada
AWS Engineer Salary
According to AmbitionBox, AWS Engineer salary in India hover around an annual average of 3,5-14.0 LPA with an average of 5.8LPA, in the USA is $135,000 per year or $69.23 per hour, and the average in the UK is £46,942 per year, ¥5,739,000 in Japan and A$95,146 in Australia.
Interested in learning AWS?
FunctionUp is a pay-after-placement Boot camp that trains students in AWS and other backend technologies through its cohorts. You can explore more about our offerings here: